Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Baby talk

Ok ok ok...I think I have baby fever. I do not know how this began, but I have experienced it for some time now, yet it was not so long ago when my attitude was different. After graduating high school in 2005 and visiting my Grandmother, She told me about some distant relative who had just given birth and showed me pictures. I listened politely, but inside thought, "This is the most boring piece of news ever. I don't care about people having kids." In high school, I sometimes did not even like being around babies. Once when I was in 10th grade, at youth group, I made it known that holding them was out of my comfort zone and interest level, and a girl exclaimed, "you don't like babies?!" In 9th grade, my friend Emily and I volunteered in the babies class at our church's VBS. When it came time to change a diaper, we went it together and screamed simultaneously when we opened the thing to find it was poopy. The thing is, as a young child-6,7,8,9-my mother worked at a daycare. She would cart me along with her to work. There were lots of infants and toddlers there, and many of the regulars became my favorites. I would ask to hold them, and I would sit Indian style on the floor while my mom put them in my lap. Also, when I was in Kindergarten, my Grandfather's second wife gave birth to Maria and then, later to Jeff, two little nuggets whom I adored and constantly camped near. And up until 4th grade, I would "adopt" little girls a few grades below me. It is obvious, to me now, that I was totally jonesing for a little sister or brother back then. Yes, I think besides Christmas, my many childhood years were spent obsessing over this one fantasy. By the time I got past ten and realized I would be the only little sister in the family, I just stopped caring...for eight more years. The only time I remember liking a baby in my teen years was when my mother's best friend adopted a 9-month-old named Cammelia Rose. She had the eyes of God, bright blue and forever staring in concentration. She was beautiful, and I would hold her gently, have staring contests, doing my best to make her giggle, taking in the details of God's tiniest creation. Now, my mother bought me many dolls as a little one. That was certainly sweet of her, and I liked them, but I remember tiring of them easily. She would give me expensive ones and I would name them and change their clothes and put them "in bed", but the play never extended to much more than that. I feel quite sure I played with them as a means to please her. They sat on shelves much of the time, so I think if I buy babydolls for a girl one day, they are going to be value priced. Mom no doubt gave me dolls because she loved me. She certainly wanted me to be a girl's girl, but I had much more fun doing cartwheels and "gymnastics" with my brother, Ben, in the living room. Now, Barbies are a different story. I really preferred these the most because she looks more like a teen and I felt grown up. I am in no way endorsing the Barbie brand, but now when Cammelia and her little sisters visit, my mother pulls out the old trunk of Barbie junk and they beg me to play. I find it therapeutic to dress her up like old times. Have I digressed? Good. What I am saying is my level of interest has changed over time. Rewind to the start of college in 2005, I suddenly wanted a baby, a whole baby, and nothing but a baby, so help me God. I was married four years later. Rob and I know we want kids in the future. I feel over the moon in love with babies for now. The purpose of this post is to share my 10 favorite little girl names. Because it is healthy to plan and dream, right? Ready? OK! 1. Emi, as a nickname for Emilia. Similar but better than Amelia, as in Earheardt. Who wants to name their kid after someone famous? Not me. Similar to Emily, my friend mentioned above. Feminine. I rather like E names. 2. Ruby. Retro cool, gem name, girly, funny. Not just for gingers, I anticipate my nuggets being blonde. 3. Tenny, perhaps as a nickname for Tennyson. I don't know why I like this, but it's different. 4. Frankie, nickname for Francesca. Come on, this is adorable, funky, vintage, precious. I rather like the sound of Frank Sinatra's voice. Plus, Rob has an Aunt Frances: recycle those family appellations, folks. 5. Josie, as in Josephine. I always loved Jo from Little Women. Easy to say, and J is the next best letter after E. 6. Nori. I also always loved Norah Jones, when I was 17, her music made me want to write in my journal. This is a softer version, isn't it? 7. Nellie. Yes yes, the mean girl from Little House on the Prairie. It's endearing, but old timey. 8. Cece, real name Cecelia. I always wished this was my name as a little girl. I was highly influenced by the movie Beaches. If you have not seen this movie, well friend, please do. 9. Maggie, maybe by itself or as a short form of Margot. My Grandmother informed me that this is what old ladies are called. I love it, though. 10. Callie, beautiful and always in style. Easy to say and spell, and it is a name a little girl would love having.

No comments:

Post a Comment