Tuesday, February 14, 2012

A Valentine for my Daddy

Today I sent my dad a thank you e-mail. And I thought it was worth writing about. I told him he is partially to thank for me marrying Robert. Here's why: I was the new kid in school during the fourth grade when my dad moved us here from Texas. By fifth grade, I had been to four elementary schools. When we moved here, I knew no one at all. There is one thing that people always noticed about me at any school: my hair. I had long hair, to my waist. My Dad, during my childhood, did not allow me to cut it. Ok, so at the time, I hated it a lot. It was hot, and my mother had trouble doing things with it, and I wanted a break from it. (but that is another post). I look back and am grateful to him for his rule for two reasons: he was the boss, and it made Robert notice me. If I had short hair, then I would have faded into the crowd of other little girls. Rob started eyeing me in the fifth grade, in the hall way. Somehow we became friends. In middle school, he made it clear to me that he liked my hair a lot. When I was fourteen, and a rising high school freshman, my dad let me cut it. (fourteen inches came off). But by then, Rob was already convinced that I was the coolest girl in the world.

So, thanks dad, for all that long hair. It must have, in some small way, landed me the right husband!

No comments:

Post a Comment