Wednesday, January 18, 2012

New Year's Eve

"You know, they say, how  you spend your New Year's Eve is how you'll spend the whole year," a girl at work said. I spent the day: at the park, working, reading, and having fun with my family and family friends.

She must be right, I must say.

Raise your hand if you have family friends that are so similar to family that you might as well call them that. My hand is raised. Evie and Mickey, my "Aunt" and "Uncle" and their four adopted kids, my "nieces" and "nephew" visited for New Year's Eve. They are so special and fun to me and I am so glad they visit my parent's house often.

The kids brought along their Christmas loot, which included some skate board scooter things. We tested them out at the park. And I fell while trying one out.

Later, at night, my dad built a bonfire out on the small piece of land he owns. (My parents call it just "the land.") We roasted s'mores, everyone talked about their new ideas for themselves for the coming  year, and we even sang. Like, all of us. Together. As a group. It's weird for sure. But I think weird is the way we play it in Bornert land. My favorite part is that the neighbors who live behind "the land" put on a fireworks show every year. Like huge fireworks, or huge for a  neighborhood. We could see the fireworks clearly and up close. One they threw up was even a smiley face.

And the next day, on January 1, we ate cornbread, and greens, and black eyed peas. Rob LOVES greens. He was raised on them. Me, not so much. But guess what? They are growing on me. I watched Mickey as he prepared them, and there's actually not much to it. Later, Evie, the Queen of Massage gave us all the most heavenly back rubs. Like she worked out the biggest, egg sized knot in my shoulder. I hold all my body's stress in my top shoulder muscles. And that is where the trouble was and she worked it out like a magician.

So, smiley faced fireworks, greens, falling on my butt, and egg sized stress knots are what I will take away from this New Year's.

Huzzah!

No comments:

Post a Comment